Internet Trends 2015 – key mobile trend extracts from Mary Meeker’s presentation
Mary Meeker, partner at Kleiner Perkins just released her annual Internet Trends report for 2015. As always, the presentation is insightful, informative and broad. At 197 slides, it covers a range of topics from Internet and mobile usage trends to growth of user generated content and even touches upon the need for new regulatory frameworks for new business models. For readers interested specifically in the mobile piece of the presentation, we've extracted some highlights here:
- Mobile phone penetration has gone from 1% of the global population in 1995 to 73% of the world's population in 2014
- Global Internet users and smartphone subscriptions continue to grow but growth rate is slowing. At 2.1B subscriptions, overall smartphone subscriptions grew by 23% YoY in 2014. Net new subscriber additions have been flat at ~370MM in 2014 and 2013
- Mobile ad spend continues to have significant opportunity when measured as percent of ad spend on mobile relative to time spent on mobile
- Mobile advertising is growing strongly at 34% YoY but still only 14% of global Internet advertising spend
- New ad formats optimized for mobile are fast/interactive/fun like the Pinterest Cinematic pin, the Vessel 5 sec ad or the Facebook carousel ad
- Buy buttons optimized for mobile will reduce friction in the mobile buying experience
- The top apps around the world in usage and sessions are messaging apps
While the trends around mobile usage and advertising all indicate robust growth, there is still very limited data available on the breakdown of advertising spend on mobile web vs mobile apps. A recent IAB research report showed that apps today are driving the majority of media consumption activity - on smartphones, 88% of mobile Internet time is spent on apps.
Based on this statistic, a large portion of mobile ad spending should be going towards in app advertising. However, finding accurate and actionable data on mobile app audiences has been a challenge. PushSpring now offers a quick and easy solution for brands and advertisers looking to reach mobile app audiences.
We process billions of monthly mobile app and device-level signals to create a multi-dimensional classification of mobile app audiences in the form of Personas and Custom Audience segments. These can be accessed via the PushSpring Audience Console and industry-leading data partners. For more information about our suite of offerings, please get in touch at email@example.com.
Also see - 5 reasons to reach consumers in mobile apps http://wp.me/p5SLvo-V